About the Haymarket
Who is the Lincoln Haymarket Development Corporation?
Haymarket businesses and property owners, along with community leaders formed LHDC in 1985 as a non-profit organization. LHDC was primarily formed in order to apply for participation in the National Main Street Program which is a revitalization program administered by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Haymarket was selected as one of nine sites in the nation that year as a district qualifying as a Main Street Program site. This led the District and LHDC to the development of a broad-based revitalization plan, done under the direction of the National Main Street Center. LHDC also formulated a plan to financially implement the program over a long period of time.
LHDC immediately established what their mission would be and determine what goals and objectives should be to take us through to continue a long-term revitalization process.
Mission Statement, Goals and Objectives
LHDC built its mission statement and original goals around the Main Street Approach, which is a preservation of the built environment and of the human resources of the downtown or neighborhood business district. The mission statement remains unchanged today and the goals and objectives reflect much of the original LHDC goals referred to as DOPER (Design, Organization, Promotion, Economic Restructuring).
LHDC Mission Statement
The Lincoln Haymarket Development Corporation is committed to continuing the economic development, revitalization, preservation, and growth of Lincoln's Historic Haymarket District.
- To maintain a strong working board by forming committees and recruiting members for these committees.
- To educate all Haymarket businesses as to the existence and purpose of LHDC.
- To promote and maintain a historic district.
- To maintain and develop good public relations with the city, community and other organizations.
- To maintain an economically dynamic district through events and marketing.
- To continue to operate a financially stable organization.
- To work with West & South Haymarket to create a cohesive area.