42. Voight Meat Market and Bird Windmill Building
115-121 S. 9th St.
Lincoln, NE 68508
| Historic Haymarket Tour
circa 1884/1911 and circa 1883
The art gallery consists of a pair of two-story buildings. The north portion was constructed by 1884 but its facade was remodeled in 1911. The elaborate corbelled brick cornice enlivens the otherwise simple facade. The building was first used as second-hand store. In 1888 Fred Voight opened the Voight Meat Market here, beginning a 63-year operation. Voight's brick vat for making sausage remains in the basement.
The south portion of the gallery was originally the home of Bird Windmill Company, which sold "Kalamazoo Wind Mills," pumps, tanks, and fittings from this building between 1883 and 1886. The business had eleven employees and annual sales exceeding $75,000. A wholesale boot and shoe store occupied another part of the building, while the upper floor provided lodging rooms. Art galleries have occupied the building since the early 1970s.
Continue the tour